Friday, January 28, 2011

Reading to End Racism

Last Wednesday, each classroom at Union School participated in a program called, "Reading to End Racism". Guest readers came to each class to explore the concept of racism, and to help provide opportunities for discussion about different races, and cultural backgrounds. Our guest reader, Mrs. Bluhm, chose a story about colors. The book was called" All the Colors of the Earth."The class really enjoyed this book. As a matter of fact, they asked to hear it again right away! Many images of earth based colors were provides, and a variety of images of children as well.Mrs. Bluhm brought some items from her kitchen, such as cinnamon, wheat, flour, curry and cocoa and coffee. These items were also referenced in the book.We then created our own  class book ,"All the Colors of Mrs. Koch's Class." Each student wrote about what they were like.
Some lines include,
" I am like golden sand."
"I am like speckled wheat."
" I am like a hedgehog, because my hair is prickly."
" My lips are like a robin."
"My skin is the same as my dog's belly."

Mrs. Bluhm plans to return to read the completed class book!



A packet was sent home to help facilitate family discussions about "Reading to End Racism". Please take a look at this valuable information!!

1 comment: