Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Note From Ms. Swick

Hello! I would like to introduce myself. If you haven’t already heard, I am the new student teacher in Mrs. Koch’s classroom. I am looking forward to having a wonderful few months getting to know the students and Mrs. Koch’s classroom. I feel very lucky to have this placement.
            I started last January as a post-baccalaureate student at Union Institute and University. Once a month I have been traveling to Brattleboro to meet with faculty and students from the program to discuss all the reading and writing we have completed. It was great to return back to school. I wanted to be a teacher as a young child (both my parents were teachers), but I wasn’t ready as an undergrad student. I “wanted to see the world before I taught others about it” as I like to put it. My B.A. in Anthropology is from the University of New Hampshire. I completed a couple years of AmeriCorps, plus some other volunteer work in various places, much of which involved working with young people. I was also a recruiter for internships for college students for the SCA before having my daughter in 2010. For the past couple years, I’ve done childcare at home.

            My experiences vary and now I look forward to learning the ins and outs of teaching as much as I can in the coming weeks. Thanks to Susan Koch, your children, and Union Elementary, I know I will learn in a great environment. Feel free to ask me any questions. I look forward to meeting most of you this winter/spring. Additionally, I will be taking pictures and videos for my licensing portfolio, which will be seen by my faculty. If you prefer to not have your student’s pictures used, please let me know. And of course, all information is confidential. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment